Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Flip Manifesto from D Pink - My Thoughts


I have always enjoyed reading the thoughts of Dan Pink. He's quite ingenuitive, quizzical and incredibly thought provoking. Not too long ago, I ran across his latest publication, The Flip Manifesto 16 Counterinutitive Ideas About Motivation, Innovation and Leadership.
It was indeed a flip.
The first preponderance that hit me was his first point, Start Doubting Yourself. When faced with a problematic situation, instead of declaring "I can do it!", change your thinking to "Can we do it?" It allows the mind to immediately begin exploring options and solutions. By changing one, simple reaction an entire mindset is created. Will I be exploring this option with my leadership team, absolutely.
His fourth topic really, really intrigued me. Take as much vacation as you want, whenever you want it. I just knew Dan Pink was telling me to hop the first plane to the Bahamas! However, once I read through it, his main point is to ensure time for adequate relaxation and rejuvenation while ensuring all tasks are completed. These tasks just may be done by your colleagues, but what's more intriguing is that the culture of the organization must be at an inter-dependence level before this type of vacation policy will be successful. Will education ever get there? Most likely not, but it's fun to think about.
One of my favorites, do the reverse of whatever you're doing now. I'm a big fan of the Fisch Flip, flipped instruction and just about anything else that spins us 180 degrees. Change is tough, but change in inevitable and I enjoy the new motivation and excitement brought about by it. I've written on flipped instruction a few times before and even dove into flipped staff development a time of two.
Carve out time for non-commissioned work. The key to any true success is what you're doing in the wee hours of the morning or when you're not "on the clock." In his book, Drive, Dan Pink describes the use of FedEx Days as a motivator within several companies. FedEx days - or times - are when official work for the company is put aside and employees work on a topic/idea/project of choice. I so badly want to approach this concept within my campus, but finding practical ways to implement it is tough. In the end accountability wins out.
All in all, a very good read with a great deal of leadership value.


No comments:

Post a Comment